How can I become more intelligent?
FAQ question. What are FAQs?
David O. asked: What would be the best way for an adolescent to achieve genius? How can I become more intelligent? I read your article The roots of creativity and genius. How would you summarize it in just a few words
Definitions used for this particular answer:
- intelligence is the power to solve problems
- genius is a person of high achievement derived from high intelligence
To achieve more using the mind:
- create a stress free zone and build a life around it
- respect sleep
- base your entire lifestyle on natural creativity cycle
- take on a lofty goal that will monopolize your mind (e.g. writing a novel or designing an airplane)
- use incremental reading to build vast expanses of knowledge
- while learning, never ignore the the fundamental law of learning: learning must be pleasurable
- while learning, focus on abstract knowledge that will increase the productivity of the mind (e.g. learn the laws of probability rather than the capitals of the US states)
- keep working on your goal, keep using mental tools, keep employing knowledge
The above ideas have been integrated into a synthetic approach to problem solving: How to solve any problem?
For a more comprehensive list see: Genius checklist