Incremental reading step by step
Incremental reading is easy. The manual is huge and intimidating. Good skills and strategies take months to develop. However, you can start incremental reading in minutes. Here are the step prioritized to start from those you are likely to need most.
3 minute ABC
- download and install SuperMemo for Windows (SuperMemo 2004 Freeware, SuperMemo 15 Freeware, SuperMemo 16 or commercial SuperMemo 17)
- import an article with copy&paste or, better yet, directly from Internet Explorer. See: Import
- read the article, once you see an interesting fragment, select it and press Alt+X. See: Extracts
- use Learn button to start learning
- if you see a short fragment of text that you want to remember, select a keyword and use Alt+Z. See: Cloze
Keep learning, importing, extracting and converting short sentences to questions. Work out your own strategies. If something is missing, write to me.
This is optional, but can give you a big boost:
- open this article in Internet Explorer
- import it to SuperMemo with Ctrl+Shift+A
- use Ctrl+Enter to open SuperMemo Commander
- type Sp for Split article, and press Enter
The above will splinter the entire manual into 340 hints. If your process one per day, you will be done in a year. You can process faster if you send low priority articles to later dates, or give them lower priority with Alt+P.